Is it about our expectations or God’s characteristics? The answer is summed up on what is the purpose of your church? Is it painful, prideful and dysfunctional as to satisfy one’s ego and plans or is it Biblical and effectual, to glorify our Living Loving LORD?
Leadership expectations of pastors and elders are often unrealistic and not centered on what leadership is really about. Too often people confuse a strong-willed personality as an effective leader, leadership is not being strong-willed, rather having a strong sense of purpose that’s centered upon God.
The church of our Lord needs leaders, not petty instigators. There are too many churches that substitute a petty person for a godly person and see no distinction, because the people who put them in power do not know the difference. People who like to quote man’s ideas and not quote God, who like the social and psychological trends not God’s Biblical precepts, people who like to be in the spotlight and not be the light to point to the blood of Christ!
What are the Biblical Characteristics of a real called of Christ Leader?
The 11 Principle Leadership Characteristics: Vision, Knowledge, Energizer, Learning, Perseverance, Maturity, Love their Call, Spunk, No Fear of Failure, Followers and Listening:
- Vision: A vision will have your primary call from Scripture, to hear and obey His Word!
- Knowledge is being assured that what Christ did is relevant and impacting, and is a reality that must be accepted and committed to.
- Love their Call is Passion, it means there is nothing better you would rather do than…
- Energizer is the importance of influence, and being attractive with Christ who gets excited and is joyful for Him!
- Learning is to learn and grow from the experience the Lord gives us so we are an example for His work!
- Maturity is to know that our need is to be in Christ, and not to be to ourselves!
- Perseverance is to continue in our state of grace so we live it out in our lives and walk with Christ to the end for our eternal reward!
- Spunk is the willingness to take a risk and go beyond ourselves, our experience and knowledge and into what is best for the body of Christ!
- No Fear of Failure is the ability to take a risk and keep the focus and attention on our call and obedience!
- Followers is knowing that you cannot lead where you have not been, unless the leader is a good follower of the Lord they cannot lead others effectively!
- Listening knows to be an effectual leader, you must know how to listen, all its takes is the will to turn it on and let it work.
None of the characteristics will work unless a foundation of maturity and Godliness is the foundation of the leader. Without a growing love relationship with Christ, you will have conflict and strife, and be running a nursery for adults instead of the church for Christ. If we choose not to grow and live for our Lord, then we are choosing to live for ourselves. So prepare yourself to be a baby-sitter in a nursery, who constantly puts out fires of hurt feelings and misdirected expectations causing all kinds of problems, all leading away from the call of Christ. You will not able to function as a leader, but will be functioning as a bitter, frustrated, unfulfilled, immature individual. And I do mean individual, because you will be going it alone without the support of the Holy Spirit and of our Lord because you will be acting contrary to His call and moving forward in the direction of your own will.
Filed under: Leadership Issues | Tagged: Biblical Characteristics, characteristics, effective leader, Energizer, expectations, Followers, leadership, Leadership Challenge, learning, listening, maturity, passion, Perseverance, petty, purpose, Spunk, strong-willed, vision, with Christ | 1 Comment »